Sometimes you just need dessert.
This is a quick and easy recipe to make on those evenings when you’re craving comfort food! Jam sponge is old school baking at its best, and always reminds me of having tea at my Grandma’s – it’s wonderfully nostalgic. Plus it’s all cupboard ingredients, so it’s really convenient for when you’ve not planned in advance. I often make this on a Sunday evening when my husband and I are putting off the realities of the approaching Monday morning! The quantities below will make 4 individual sponges, but it’s easy to double up if you’re baking for the whole family. Enjoy!
You will need:
- 115g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 heaped tbsp. of strawberry or cherry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease four individual pudding moulds [or ramekins].
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Divide the mixture between the pudding moulds.
- Bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of jam to each sponge while it’s still warm, then serve with a couple of fresh strawberries and big spoonful of good-quality vanilla ice-cream. Delicious!